ARLIS/NA Conference 2015
Costume & Textile Special Interest Group Meeting
Omni Hotel, Fort Worth
22 March 2015
Vice-moderator (Moderator elect), Carla-Mae Crookendale, presiding
- 13 in attendance
- Heather Koopmans, Head of Research, Instruction and Special Collections, Savannah College of Art and Design – Librarian Wardrobe Blog:
- Koopmans would like to step away from role as organizer for the ARLIS/NA conference fashion shots for the Librarians Wardrobe Blog
- Koopmans reported on feedback received pertaining to the Librarians Wardrobe Blog (see below).
- Perpetuates a stereotype around what art librarians look like
- Portrays limited group
- Detracts from academic/scholarly intention of ARLIS/NA
- Attendee comments in response to Feedback received. The Blog provides…(see below):
- Good visibility for ARLIS/NA
- Potential to draw in younger librarians
- Opportunity for conference attendees to connect with each other in a new way
- Proposed solutions included:
- Should we connect with editorial team about ARLIS/NA image?
- Funnel images through ARLIS/NA Instagram?
- Call out for volunteers (3-5) to take photos and submit to Librarian Wardrobe…think about how it should be done.
- Talk to marketing department for ARLIS/NA about a branding strategy…does this collaboration fit?
- A self-photography effort at future conference social events could achieve participatory benefits while complementing ARLIS/NA’s oral history / conference archives & is more inclusive.
- Post a call for volunteers on the BLOG and see if volunteers step forward – From that point see what changes need to be made to the program.
- Peg Knight, ProQuest – Overview of WWD and Vogue:
- WWD from 1910
- Vogue Archive – 1892 to the present (U.S. vogue Run)
- Peg encouraged librarians to think of fashion resources as cross-disciplinary, targeting other departments, such as, business, women’s studies, material culture, photography, etc.
- Peg wants to hear how Vogue and WWD are used in research
- The audience expressed an interest in Daily News Record, to be added to the database for men’s wear resources
- Geraldine Billingham, Editorial Director for Berg/Bloomsbury Publishing – New resources and features of Bloomsbury:
- Bloomsbury Fashion Central
- Fashion Photography Archive
- Berg Fashion Library, New features…Exhibitions Archive
- Kerry Taylor Auctions the world’s leading auction house specializing in vintage fashion, fine antique costume and textiles has agreed to provide Bloomsbury with images
- E-book platform for Fairchild Books
Call for Vice Moderator
- Discussion of what the role is.
- Manage BLOG – international scale
- Call for Vice Moderator on the BLOG unless a volunteer steps forward in the next few days (UPDATE: Thanks to Nicole LaMoreaux at LIM College for volunteering! Blog Post to follow.)
Call for recommendations for FTC-related tours & museums for ARLIS 2016 (Blog post to follow.)
Open to general questions
Close of Meeting 4:30
Minutes submitted by Lauren MacDonald